(keitai-l) Re: optimized service for mobile phones

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 03/30/04
> Vodafone Live launched after I-mode and the portals of the other
> UK operators, yet is the clear winner now. ...

(1)
actually, WAP was the first in Japan.  I remember some guys worked
out a PHS handset with UP.Browser in 1998.  i-mode was the second.

though I don't like PHS, almost all major successful services were
actually first developed for PHS: ringtone download, camera phone,
and video.  so SkyMelody, Sha-Mail, etc., were all the second.

I prefer WML, but I don't think WML or C-HTML is that big an issue.
don't forget we used to have different HTMLs: the Netscape version
and the Microsoft version.  Curt is right that the winner doesn't
necessarily have the right technology.

(2)
i-mode was the clear winner in 2000, but not anymore after DoCoMo's
market share peaked in early 2001.  actually changes started to
happen in 2000 but i-mode just had too much kinetic energy and it
was not seriously felt.

Vodafone.jp and au/KDDI are the market leaders in the last 3 years.
i-mode just cannot compete.  that's why DoCoMo has to cut packet
rates by up to 50% in a rare move to hold the defecting customers.

(3)
regarding good workmanship and technical achievements, I think NEC,
NTT-DATA, and the likes made many times the revenues by providing
a costly system that is hard to maintain and upgrade.  and I agree
with Curt again sincerely.