(keitai-l) Re: Supermarionation & Super Mario Bros.

From: Jeroen Elfferich <jeroen_at_exmachina.nl>
Date: 04/05/04
I believe Mario started as a character (without the Mario name still) in the
successful arcade game Donkey Kong. Later he got his own games on Game &
Watch (pre-Gameboy portable games) and NES, and truly became a Nintendo
icon, continuing to date with at least one major Mario game (and numerous
spinoffs) on each console generation.

Even though Super Mario came out before Super Nintendo (which would make the
source of naming even more obvious), I think that Nintendo just liked to
label successors with a 'super' prefix in the 80s.

Even though your idea is an intriguing one...

Jeroen

PS: there's a great book by Steven Kent on the history of video games, aptly
named 'the ultimate history in video games'. I can highly recommend it -
it's fun to read and a great reference to this young, dynamic and sometimes
repetitive industry.