(keitai-l) Re: Supermarionation & Super Mario Bros.

From: David Harper <dharper_at_wirelessink.com>
Date: 04/05/04
  >No.  Mario was the plumber(?) guy with a sledgehammer in Donkey Kong.
He got a
> brother Luigi in Mario Bros.  I googled this link:
> http://www.smbhq.com/who.htm

I was referring to the name coincidence between  "Supermarionation" and
"Super Mario" where the TV art form involving the animation of
characters using marionettes in the former evolved in the later as
digital animation of marionette-like characters "without strings."
Although Mario is an Italian name it could also conceivably be short for
"Marionette" - after all you control Mario as if he was a puppet.

I believe Mario's name was originally "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong.
David Harper
Co-Founder, Wireless Ink
Mobilizing the Masses