(keitai-l) Re: location based gaming

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 04/12/04
William:

I remember a DoCoMo study, that people on average are only prepared
to wait about 7 seconds for a response (i.e. the desired information
page to come up on the screen) on the mobile internet.

i-mode reponse is typically under good conditions 2-3 seconds from
one page to the next. So: if you bookmark for example the weather
page of your prefered beach or the snow depth on your prefered
ski slope, you have the answer 2-3 seconds after your kids ask you,
not 1-2 minutes later.

That's a big, maybe the biggest factor why i-mode is so successful
in Japan. If the response time would have been 1-2 minutes at the
introduction of i-mode (as I think it was on WAP in Europe - correct
me if I am wrong) I think i-mode would have flopped in Japan.

Gerhard

William Volk wrote:
> My fav. PC Game, Battlefield 1942 has a startup time (to get into a
> multiplayer game) that exceeds the time most people even have to play a
> mobile handset game (2 minutes or so).  Counterstrike is worse by a
> factor of 3 to 5.
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html