(keitai-l) Re: Acquisition of Mobile Phones for Site Testing (OT).

From: Jason Pollard <jasonpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 04/16/04
> the web pages and content to the mobile phones... My question is, even
> with mobile phone emulators, your still going to need to use real world
> handsets to test out delivery and rendering?

Yes, definitely.

It would be silly to
> totally rely upon the hardware solution to render it as you wanted,
> correct?

Hmm...Maybe not the right question.  First, I'd almost guarantee there's
software in there somewhere, so it's not 100% hardware solution.  Rendering (by
that I mean generating HTML or whatever) isn't so processor intensive that you
need special hardware for it.  Any old pizza box will do ( or maybe
load-balanced array of pizza boxes in your case).  The thing to ask is is it
open?  Can it do what you want now, and be changed easily to meet your needs in
the future?  From a sales perspective, it's probably easier to say 'here's a
box you can buy, plug into your network, flip the switch and it'll take care of
what you want' (not messy) than it is to say 'We have a software package for
that.' (maybe messy).  If your requirements don't change over time (or the
system is flexible enough to adapt to your changing requirements), and you have
the budget, a turnkey solution may be the way to go.  Just beware of vendor
lock-in.  You could alternatively hire a consultant/developer to deliver an
open-source-based software solution that you could deploy across x servers as
needed.  (That's what I do by the way, so take it with a grain of salt.)  That
way you don't have to worry about your hardware vendor going out of business,
or begging your closed-source software vendor (e.g. Vignette) to make a change
for you, because you'd have code built on (generally bombproof) open code that
just about any developer could take a look at and modify as needed.  That's way
more than I was going to write.

The second part of my question is... Are there people/offices
> at the various top level mobile phone manufactures (Sony Ericsson,
> Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, etc.) that I can get in touch with about
> getting some loaner mobile phones  to use for our internal QA and
> testing? They would be returned once we are complete with our site
> testing...  Is this a common practice? Or are the phones purchased?

I think that's what Nooper does in Japan.  Maybe they can refer you to someone
in LA that does the same thing.

--Jason