(keitai-l) Re: Acquisition of Mobile Phones for Site Testing (OT).

From: tokyotonite <tas_at_tokyotonite.com>
Date: 04/16/04
Hi Jason - I think you have a couple stumblers here --

1) Getting handsets directly from the manufacturer is a bit of problem
because they produce on behalf of the carrier/region. So you are better to
work directly with the carrier for sample or developer sets.

2) Being a developer partner with a manufacturer or carrier is a good idea.
Easier to get access to loaner and advance issues. We were dev partner of
Moto and Nextel - thus, received the newest handsets for testing and dev.
But this does not mean we had ALL the handsets they deployed in a market.

3) I know a large Japanese company that provides testing for virtually every
handset issued in the Asian market. They are planning a similar business for
the US market. It's brutal - basically they purchase every known handset for
every carrier and then conduct testing with their proprietary software.
They've made a business of it - especially in the ringtone market - because
of the need for extensive QA as you mention.

If you are interested, then please give me a follow up email. I'm currently
evaluating business climate for them and feedback from developers in US is
important. Like - would you pay for this kind of service?

Cheers,

Tim