(keitai-l) Re: keitai image printing (was re: Nokia warns of tough times ahead)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 04/20/04
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Michael Sydenham wrote:

> So what DoCoMo & AU recently introduced was IrDA in their phone to
> make it possible to print via IR to printers with IR receivers.  In the
> beginning it was a service using dedicated terminals at places like
> Yodobashi, but recently Fuji & others brought out dedicated keitai printers
> (via IR) using polariod paper.

I've not seen these terminals (not that I've looked much), but I have
seen two other kinds of terminals for printing from phones. One type (of
which they have two or three at Bic Camera's Shibuya East Exit shop)
has you put in your memory card, and you can browse and print. I guess
this is good for most any digital camera, actually. Unfortunately, they
seem to take pretty much every different type of media but mini-SD, and
I don't carry my mini-SD to SD adapter around with me, so it's not much
use for me for printing from my phone unless I prepare in advance.

For the other, it appears to be essentially a print club machine where
you plug a communications cable into the base of your phone and send
over images that you can then do the usual print club things with.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org