(keitai-l) Re: OT: mobile phone development cables/software/etc.

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 05/07/04
On 2004 May 05, , at 08:09, Jason Fields wrote:

>   I am in a hard position as the company I am contracting for now has
> VERY tight restrictions on our network, and the hardware solution we
> have that parses our html pages and delivers them to handset mobile or
> palmtop is behind the firewall... so the only way we can currently test
> our content is by hitting an internal IP and custom port.... w/
> emulators...

I found myself in a similar situation developing mobile applications
for the semiconductor industry where it is usually not a good idea to
open up the plant monitoring and control systems to the wild.

> SO, my question is that using emulators is one way to test, but we want
> to also test the content on some mobile phones before we launch... are
> there gateways, servers, etc. w/ data cables for each kind of phone, so
> we can deliver the test content to the handset hardwired to the desktop
> machine (using some data cable)?

Microsoft used to have a developers kit for their smartphone that
included a handset and cables but it looks like it has been pulled and
with a market share around zero is probably of little value for real
world testing.

This may not be much help but if the goal of your client is to deliver
content to mobiles, at some point their network will be externally
accessible so perhaps it would be better to focus on the security model
they will require for this then - once in place - conduct real world
testing.

Kyle

--

http://pukupi.com