(keitai-l) Re: China adding the 300Mth cellular subscriber

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 05/20/04
just returned Japan with a shoebox of pirate DVDs for one USD each,
probably the most valuable goods in my luggage.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/20/ifpi_greece_warning/

I expect China will start to ride the wireless data tide in the next
two years, but I have yet found a "get rich quick" business.  some
companies are already doing quite well namely Tom.com and the major
portal companies sina, netease, and soho.

the curse says that wireless data market can only develop in places
intact by GSM, like Japan and Korea.  nevertheless I think there is
huge room for many competing companies to succeed in China.

so please share your ideas and let's explore opportunities together.

one thing that I find interesting is Chinese friends are very
enthusiastic in wireless streaming video (GPRS or cdma2000).  but
I don't expect video will become big especially in where you can
have a whole title at the price of a promotion clip.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/20/mobile_killer_apps_idc/

cheers,

Ken

ps. GPRS in Chinese means "dog-fart-life-time"