(keitai-l) Airtunes

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 06/09/04
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Giovanni Bertani wrote:

	Changing the subject because you most likely answered to
	a wrong thread.

> There is no standard "remote control" software on the market today.
> iTunes is AAC (An open format they are pushing a lot) and MP3 instead
> of proprietary  WMA or Sony last proprietary codec.

	If we are nitpicking AirPort Express itself does not support
	AAC or MP3. It supports Apple's Lossless Compression (ALE).

	When iTunes plays back AAC, MP3 or any other supported audio
	format it first decompresses the audio into an uncompressed
	stream and then compresses it to ALE. This ALE stream is then
	sent over network to AirPort Express which decodes it and
	outputs as either analog or PCM format depending on which
	cable you have plugged in in the Airport Express.

	I think it will be just a matter of time when other audio
	players such as WinAMP will be to send audio streams in
	similar way (unless of Apple unleashes patent lawyers).

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/