(keitai-l) Re: Opera, Opera

From: Jim Ayson <jimayson_at_gmail.com>
Date: 06/11/04
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:47:38 +0200, Giovanni Bertani
<giovanni.bertani@exsense.com> wrote:

> What I was saying is that, as mobile service designer, I tend to
> focus on more mobile-only services as with Opera you access
> content by traditional content providers that can not easily
> integrated with telco services.
>
> So I really see this as a personal tool and not so interesting
> as way to introduce innovative services.

One other insight -

One impact that apps like web browsers have on smartphones is that
they allow users to reach outside the "walled garden" that operators
to keep their customers chained to their own offerings of mobile
applications and content. Why subscribe to an SMS news alert on the
operator when you one can bypass this and access the info directly
from the content provider's WAP site?

For this reason, I think the mobile operators will tend to put limits
on web access from their networks whether thru WAP, XHTML or whatever.
Some will resort to draconian measures as blocking access to specific
URLs that compete with their own "walled garden" mobile content
offerings.

Wouldn't say that this is far-fetched as this is already being
practiced in the Philippines despite the "mobile-savvy" reputation of
this country. (i.e. mobile operators here already derive 35-40% of
revenue from data services)