(keitai-l) Can any of the dual GSM/CDMA phones be used overseas on other networks ?

From: <charlie_at_skinnyhippo.com>
Date: 06/18/04
Just walked into a Vodafone shop in Kyushu and saw a somewhat
nifty (in my humble opinion) 801SH which apparently works on
GSM networks overseas, using a SIM card. Since the shop assistant
could not actually tell me, I was wondering if anybody knows
whether such phones can be used with non-Vodafone networks
(since I actually reside in Hong Kong) or are they SIM-locked?
Am guessing that the answer will be a somewhat emphatic and
resounding "no can do" but thought I`d give it a try.

Are there any decent keitai which could potentially be
taken overseas and used on non-Au/Vodafone/DoCoMo networks?

Even if I can not use the phone overseas, I am still
somewhat tempted to purchase the device (without a "plan"),
since I need to demonstrate the video and music capabilities
of keitai in my next gig.  Would it suffice to purchase
just the 801SH handset, a memory card, and then transfer
video and audio files to the memory card when I return
to HK ? (Pls excuse my ignorance, but which formats are
supported?) Or must I load said media onto phone before
I leave Japan... in which case my cunning plan would be
scuttled before it left the harbour.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all advice,

Regards,

Chas

ps. if there is a better device than the 801SH for what
    I intend (demonstrating future consumption of
    digital media), I am all ears. Cheers.

pps. If J2ME games can also be supported and transferred
     to the device via a memory card (and no network plan),
     even better :)