(keitai-l) Re: Can any of the dual GSM/CDMA phones be used overseas on other networks ?

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 06/21/04
You can transfer music into the V801SH and V801SA without using the network
but it must be in a secure format (SDMI I think). If you copy plain MP3
files into the V801SA it won't play them. You can either pump in secure
files via a memory card from your PC or connect the phone to your CD player
using the optical input on the phone to rip the songs. I think the V801SH
works the same way.

This is fairly typical of the toothless response that Japanese companies
have given in response to critisism from JASRAC and record companies over
piracy. In Europe the carriers will argue that its not their fault that
users pirate music but here they lock the phones down to prevent it, and in
doing so prevent legitimate uses.

As a parallel, Toshiba's Gigabeat MP3 players require the same - you have
to pass the music through their application in order for the music player
to recognise it and the app is available only for Windows. Its technically
compatible with Mac OS and Linux, and if you plug the player in your
machine recognises the hard drive and you can transfer files onto it but it
will only play MP3 if they have been through the Toshiba application, which
precludes Mac users and adds an extra layer of complexity where none is
really required.

Martyn