(keitai-l) Re: Can any of the dual GSM/CDMA phones be used overseas on other networks ?

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 06/21/04
On 2004 Jun 20, , at 11:58, Claus Hoefele wrote:

> All three operators try their best to make it impossible to use their
> phones outside Japan, even for offline demonstration usage. Wonder
> why.

Mobiles in Japan are either heavily subsidised by or discounted for
operators which is their argument for locking the mobiles down. An
example would be Vodafone's V801SA currently sells for ¥14,800 but a
Nokia 7600 goes for ¥69,800.

Unlike the V801SA, I can use the 7600 with any USIM card although
unlike Vodafone, DoCoMo would not give me the GPRS info I needed to get
data to work on the 7600 with a FOMA USIM.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com