(keitai-l) Creating your own i-motion ringtones

From: Gareth Edwards <aragoto_at_dottocomu.com>
Date: 06/23/04
This is my first post to this list; thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to write a simple how-to on making i-motion ringtones for
FOMA 900i handsets using QuickTime Pro 6.5 on Mac OSX, and am running
up against something of a brick wall.

Namely: it appears that one has to hack the 3GP files outputted from
QuickTime in a binary editor to make them selectable as ringtones once
downloaded. Unhacked 3GP files can be downloaded and played on
handsets, but can't be selected as ringtones.

Specifically, my problem is that though Japanese sites that deal with
the subject say that the second byte after a particular tag in the
binary file ("dcmd") needs to be edited to enable the file to be
selected as a ringtone, this "dcmd" isn't visible in files I have
created when I open them in an OSX binary editor (HexEditor).

If anyone has any advice on software to use, things I may be
overlooking, or in general, I would be very grateful. Replies off-list
are also welcome.

Gareth Edwards