(keitai-l) Re: New mobile standards body

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 06/24/04
On 2004 Jun 24, , at 18:26, Benedict Evans wrote:

> The formal press release is on DoCoMo's web site.
>
> They actually say 'We are not another standards body' somewhere. The
> idea
> is to specify features rather than APIs - in effect to pick which
> standards to use rather than to design new technology standards. It's
> the
> difference between saying 'every PC has to have the follwing minimum
> specs
> to get the Windows badge' and going out and designing PCI or USB.

Yes, standards body is the wrong wording but with DoCoMo, Vodafone, et
al as members, I think it is likely the standards they advocate will
become the mobile standard used.

I hope there is also some focus on actually complying with the
standards they advocate.

> The website that was up was so ugly / basic that maybe they've taken it
> down prior to putting up something decent...

It was a really nasty site.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com