(keitai-l) Re: Question concerning barcodes on a Keitai

From: Helen Keegan - BeepMarketing <helen_at_beepmarketing.com>
Date: 07/23/04
Barcodes on mobiles are still not perfect here in the UK.

There are a few options..

Sending out 2D barcodes to phones using EMS/MMS and hopefully the scanner in
store can read it (but not always though). This is the system that m-bar-go
is using for its Light trials - www.m-bar-go.com. Technically, I have not
yet seen this working so I can't comment on how well it works or not.
Trouble is, screens can be scratched, some are concave/convex, some are
over-lit, some under-lit etc. Then scanners are not always great. Having
worked in retail for a number of years, the scanners we used to use, worked
80% of the time but sometimes it was just quicker to input the number rather
than getting the scanner to work. And I know things haven't changed much in
most retail operations.

3D barcodes are more reliable but need a special scanner to read them
(actually it's a camera that takes a picture of the picture and works out
the info from it). At the moment, we're working with Trinity Mobile on this
but it does involve having a special scanner unit in store where you take
your phone, scan the picture in and get a printed receipt confirming the
offer details and then taking that to the checkout to redeem the voucher or
whatever using existing scanners. It is possible to incorporate the scanner
into your own equipment, but as this is often used in the retail
environment, legacy systems are already in place so they're unlikely to
change them in a hurry due to the cost. So again, this isn't perfect, but is
the most technically reliable I have seen.

There's a third service just starting in the UK as well, where you can take
a picture of a barcode on your phone and your phone can read the barcode and
take whatever action is necessary - e.g. if you want to compare prices on a
product, if you want more information etc. Can't remember the name of this
one but I believe that m-bar-go is one of the partners for this too.

And finally, there's Baracoda - www.baracoda.com. Baracoda supplies a wide
range of Bluetooth barcode products and adapters that enable multiple
applications with PC, Mac, POS, PDA, Terminals, Mobile Phone, robot and LAN
Network.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Helen

Helen Keegan
BeepMarketing Ltd
m: 0794 053 8802 t: 0870 770 7153
www.beepmarketing.com

((wireless: strategy, marketing and training))
    ((the best things come to small devices))

Report your mobile spam and scam here
http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/sossms.htm

For some inspiration, text BEEPME to 07946 100100