(keitai-l) Re: Any payment solution for I-MODE?

From: Dave Harper <dharper_at_wirelessink.com>
Date: 07/29/04
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Timothy J Mckinnon wrote:
>
> > Surely session-based is a cookie centric scenario?

Not all WAP clients (mini browsers) support cookies. XHTML clients do support
cookies (and I assume I-MODE clients do as well.) Even if a mini browser
supports cookies, not all carrier gateways/servers pass those cookies back
and forth to the phone. I'm not going to name names, but some carriers'
servers are set up to support cookies while one or more of their servers are
not. I even had two identical phones from the same carrier running the same
browser, side by side, one passing cookies back and forth through the server
- the other not.

Anyway, I digress...

Obviously, this causes problems if you are building a mobile site requiring
login and/or tracking at request level. This issue is especially important
when the app your building needs to work over many networks, devices and
browsers. From experience (yes, I learned the hard way) I suggest that the
session-state management be designed to generate code so to send the session
id as a GET parameter (at the end of a URL, in the query string.) With WML
1.x, to avoid transmitting data unnecessarily, you could even generate WML
code to initially set these values as WML variables. (which persist in the
client automatically) and then generate URL's so they include them upon
subsequent requests.

Hope this helps.

--
David W. Harper, Co-Founder