(keitai-l) Re: i-Mode push Technology

From: <bvolk_at_bonusmobile.com>
Date: 08/09/04
The simple question that needs to be asked is this.

1. Does a i-Mode phone receive a email even when the user is engaged in
activities (conversations, browsing, running apps)?  I suspect YES,
because when I drove everyone crazy about a year ago looking into the
(non)-possibility of using a interface to a standard POP server to
"sweep spam", I discovered that i-Mode uses a non-standard email
technology to 'push' emails directly to the phone.

2. If so, can a i-Mode email contain a link to a browser page that the
user can optionally load WITHOUT having to type in, or copy and paste
the URL to the CHTML page (or whatever i-Mode is running).  I.E. can
they bring up the web page without much trouble.

3. Can the web page start a download of a ringtone or application?

If the answer to 2 and 3 is yes, as I suspect the answer to 1 is ...
then there is a i-Mode push technology.

Funny thing is, a year ago I thought SMS was going to be killed by
application based IM and Chat apps in the USA.  Now I am the BIGGEST fan
of SMS, P-SMS, and WAP-PUSH ... and only hope the carriers continue to
support it.

By the way, what's a good resource for understanding the China mobile
market (which is SMS crazy from what I can tell).

Bill Volk
BonusMobile