(keitai-l) Re: wireless broadband in Japan

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 08/12/04
Kyle Barrow <kyle@pukupi.com> wrote on 08/12/2004 07:46:21:
> DoCoMo does have an unlimited packet plan (pake-hodai) for FOMA
> mobiles:

But that only offers unlimited access from cellphones to I-mode sites,
right? It does nothing for PC users connecting to the wider Internet.

An alternate option to using the mobile networks is wireless LAN. Coverage
will be more limited but if you simply want to check e-mail each day and
browse the web a few times a week, you might be able to find a local coffee
shop that has a hotspot.

There's a big database of hotspots at www.dokoyo.jp but you'll need
Japanese to search and some local knowledge to figure out in what part of
the city the hotspots are located. Perhaps you have some friends/colleagues
who could help you with that search?

A third alternative is the service offered by JCI (www.j-com.co.jp). They
resell time on PHS and wireless LAN networks through a number of prepaid
packages. The packages also include the required CF-Card modem and can be
bought in electronics stores. You can get PHS-only or PHS plus WLAN
packages. The main disadvantage is that you have to buy the modem and the
minimum package is, I think, six months.

Martyn