(keitai-l) Re: Embedded Linux Vs Symbian Vs T-Engine

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 09/14/04
> One of the huge advantages of Symbian is that it is backed by several
> major handset vendors.

mmm - like Windows is backed by Microsoft? That makes me feel REALLY
safe...

> While Linux does have a vast number of developers working on it - they
> are volunteers, and have no commercial obligations to offer support
> when it is needed.

You have HEARD of Redhat, Suse - IBM, etc etc....? Are Redhat employees
volunteers?

> What guarantee can you offer the network operator and content
> providers that a Linux bug will receive the necessary priority from
> its developers ?

A Service agreement, I assume. See the Redhat/Suse websites for details.

> None.

er - MANY, MANY Options.

> Now that may be acceptable to a programming geek on a backend server
> platform - but it is not acceptable in the consumer market.

The consumer does not care, as long as it works. And the consumer
believes that Windows "works" - so were are clearly taking about some
pretty generous values for the concept "works"...

> If a mass market handset has a software bug - then it needs to be
> fixed, and fixed NOW.

A THINK most Linux bugs are fixed 30 or so minutes after being
reported. Or not much more than that.... And by "fixed now" I assume
the product recall is going to happen instantaneously? So some pretty
generous values of "now" as well.

> If the handset vendor lacks the ability to compel the volunteer
> developers to provide a bug fix (because there might be something
> better on TV that night, or they have all run off to Burning Man for a
> party), then they run the risk of damaging their reputation and market
> share.

This really is purest fantasy.

You have posted the most dire, nonsensical FUD to a list including a
large number of people who develop for a living. Whatever credibility
you may have had at the start of your post, I don't think you have any
left now.

I won't go on with the rest of your post as it seems pretty clear you
do not understand what you are talking about. I am sorry to be so
blunt, but there really isn't any other way to put it....

Nick May
(I use MacOS by the way)