(keitai-l) Re: Welcome back Nokia

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 09/22/04
On 2004 Sep 22, , at 23:26, Benedict Evans wrote:

> It has a standard series 60 OS - so iSync should work just fine.

Not all Series 60 mobiles are automatically supported by iSync as iSync
does not use the SyncML synchronisation standard.

> I'm  not
> aware of Vodafone getting Nokia to lock down any existing s60 handsets
> in
> ny other markets - they have to wave a really big stick just to get
> them
> to make red the default colour-scheme.

This may be true outside Japan but inside Japan operators dictate
exactly what features go in their mobiles. DoCoMo's Symbian powered
F900i is completely locked down and it would be a shame if Vodafone
does the same for Nokia's 6630. I want to put Opera's mobile browser on
mine.

> I'd have to disagree with the 'welcome back nokia' sentiment - nine 3G
> handsets in Europe for Christmas, huge posters everywhere and only one
> of
> them will be a Nokia? And a business-oriented one at that? And with Vod
> (twice as many European subs as anyone else, remember) pushing the
> Sharp
> and the other vod-interfaced handsets above the Nokia?

I mean "Welcome back to Japan, Nokia". Who remembers the NM502i?

Kyle
--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com