(keitai-l) Re: SMAF/MLD/MMF Ringtone Quality

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 10/13/04
    I can say that for the Japanese and US markets that the ringtones
on the handset whether they be MLD,PMD,MIDI,MMF or whatever almost
always sound better than those that can be downloaded. (but not always!)
    It should be the same for Europe but I haven't done any on site testing in Europe,
I've only used them outside of Europe a little bit.

    I suspect that the main reason for this is that there is no size limit for
the embedded ones, so they can put in some huge chakuutas (Realtones)
among other reasons.

    The second obvious reason is that the handset manufacturer will care a lot
about how it sounds on that particular handset, while a ringtone maker or provider
has to cater to a huge number of handsets, with as few ringtones as possible.
If ringtones didn't sound so drastically different on each model this probably
would not be the case.

    This should change with Chakuuta (Realtones) becoming more popular.

    Make some... they are fun!

alex@mo-style.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A question for those experienced in the European i-mode services - Should
> SMAF/MLD ringtones sound as good as the default rintones that come in the
> handsets?
>
> Alex
>
> This mail was sent to address paul@thetamusic.com

Paul B. Lester