(keitai-l) Re: link: toys

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/16/04
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, nick may wrote:

> This little beastie is a tiny mp3 player that, by way of a party trick,
> is said to boot any PC that permits "usb booting" into linux....

You can do this with any USB storage device. I use this with a 256 MB
USB flash memory keychain fob for testing new NetBSD builds on my home
machine.

Unfortunately, even now, not a lot of machines let you boot from a
non-floppy USB storage device. (If it does, it's often listed as "USB
ZIP drive" in the menu.)

But I like the CD-with-USB-fob idea; I think that's great. And it
would be dead easy to do, at least under NetBSD, where you could just
union-mount the read-write USB filesystem "on top of" the read-only CD
filesystem and thus make everything modifiable.

> Why carry around a whole box when it is just an environment and
> personal files one needs? If it were made simple enough - and plug and
> play enough - I think it would be a useful addition to a phone....

Sure. All you need to do is put a USB port on the phone, the same way
most digital cameras work these days. (I've not actually booted my
system from my camera, but I could. I have used the memory in the camera
for lugging files around.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***