(keitai-l) Re: economist link

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/06/04
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, nick may wrote:

> story about VOIP at the Economist. Mostly obvious, but I was interested
> in the contention that it is the 3G operators who have most to fear
> from it - not the telcos. Is this so?

It really depends on whether something like WiMax works and takes off.
If it does, and coverage is all it's cracked up to be, it would be a
pretty big problem for the 3G operators. But I wouldn't be so sure that
this will really happen; it wasn't so long ago that everybody said WiFi
networks were going to kill the wireless carriers, and look where that
went.

> Just out of interest is anyone using  wifi-voip regularly through a PDA.

That would seem a bit of a pain. I'd imagine anybody trying to replace a
keitai would be using something like this:

    http://voipstore.pulver.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35

> Does it replace a keitai?

I don't really see how it could, at this point. The coverage just isn't
there, not to mention that there's no handover.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***