(keitai-l) Re: economist link

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 12/06/04
> 3G isn't just about talk - or even mainly about
> talk - it's about shifting huge quantities of data around in the form
> of ringtones, mp3s, movies etc etc. And THAT is where they are
> vulnerable I think. Why would I ever download an MP3 over a 3G network?
> Why would I ever use a 3G network for ANYTHING involving transfer of
> serious amounts of data? (Unless I am out in the wilds somewhere...).
> For me, and I suspect, many other city based consumers, 2G + Wifi +
> VOIP is "enough".

Nick,

In my previous comments I typed 3G but was really thinking about
WiFi/WiMax/WiBro versus cellular (2G and 3G).

I'm not sure there is much of a distinction to be made between 2G and 3G.
The carriers have spent a lot of money on those networks so their customers
will use them. It'll either be by choice or force but make no mistake,
customers will be using them. Think about it...

Why did several million people switch from PDC to CDMA? Because they love
Qualcomm's superb voice quality and high-speed data service? No! Because AU
told them the PDC network was shutting down and come get a new free phone.
It's also the reason why CDMA2000 has become so popular here -- because
users have no choice! If you want a cool handset, you have to go 3G with
AU.

Of course, this doesn't all translate into huge profits and doesn't mean
massive data use but it does mean that 3G is in everyone's future no matter
how much they don't need it.

Martyn