(keitai-l) Re: 406 errors and the google keitai proxy

From: nick may <nick_at_go-fubar.com>
Date: 12/25/04
Ho hum...

I am posting this for completeness - and also because if you rely on
people being able to access your "ordinary" websites through the google
keitai (wml?) proxy, you need to know that as things stand, the proxy
barfs with a 406 error and displays a "no appropriate content" error.
The main google spider does not, at present, have this problem, AFAIK -
or the vast majority of browsers. So it may affect you, but you be
unaware of the fact...

You will get a 406 error if you allow multiviews in your httpd.conf or
a .htaccess file and you use  php recommended Addtype declarations such
as:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php php3 php4 phtml

Instead, under Apache 2.x only, you should consider using:

AddHandler php-script php
AddType text/html php

There is no workaround for apache 1.3 AFAIK.

Multiviews is often used with url parsing under php.

see: http://tranchant.plus.com/notes/multiviews for the gory details.

I am still testing this, so I don't know what problems it might bring
with it....

regards nick

  - oh - happy klismus...