(keitai-l) Sorting Yomi

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/14/05
I'm posting this here because I know that there must be a fair number
of Japanese-computing gurus on the list. My excuse is that this is for
a keitai web site. :-)

I've been thinking I'd like an efficient way to properly sort yomi
(expressed in hiragana) in dictionary order, and I think I may have
found one. However, it's not a field I'm very familiar with, so I
thought I'd solicit comments here. I've described it at:

    http://pc.tabemo.com/cjs/ja-sort.html

Basically, you'd create a separate database column (or three, if you
don't have arrays as you do in PostgreSQL), fill them in with certain
codes derived directly from the yomi, and then use that column as the
sort key (or those columns as the primary, secondary and tertiary sort
keys).

Thoughts? Do I even have the sort order correct? I don't have a copy of
JIS X 4061 handy, so....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA