(keitai-l) Re: who to avoid...

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 02/14/05
Qualcomm told me once that they get the same royalties for CDMA2000 or
WCDMA ..... of course, there's probably additional Qualcomm stuff in there
that means the CDMA handsets result in more of your cash going to them.

As for DoCoMo and Vodafone, well I suppose it depends on which handset
rather than which carrier. ARM is a British core and Symbian in mostly
European OS while MontaVista Linux is American although supposedly open
source so you might save money there. Some of the phones run Japanese
processors and Tron.

But not necessarily all CDMA is Qualcomm now, right? Aren't some Taiwanese
companies starting to make chipsets? Maybe Via? I forget ..... I think the
South Korean's have been eager to do business with them because they resent
paying so much to Qualcomm.

If your sole objective is to pay the least to American/foreign companies,
probably the oji-san phone from Tu-ka is your best bet. I doubt there's
much of anything in there, except NTT's PDC fees.

Martyn