(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Darren Luckett <darren_at_ukmedia.us>
Date: 02/14/05
Frengle, Nik, VF-JP wrote:

>Darren,
>

>>exactly, "two years ago". you aren't even at European level for 3g. I
>>think you'll find that the most expensive 3g license in the world was
>>that of the United Kingdom, home of vodafone.
>>

>I don't exactly understand the comment: ... and I don't know what you are implying about 3G licenses.  When I say 'we', I refer to Vodafone K.K., to which Newbury is not home.

im not implying anything other than the fact. you are an english owned
company. your ultimate bosses are from that land. it can be difficult to
accept, i remember omnitel...

>>see above and 2 years behind. still building, not built. I got foma
>>coverage when i went to the top of mount aso! the docomo coverage maps
>>said i shouldn't have had coverage for at least another 50km - and that
>>was over a year ago.
>>

>A year ago I was at Shiobara (Hunter Mountain, if you are interested) with my Sanyo 801SA, and had a video conversation with a colleague in Tokyo. Have you actually used our handsets? Certainly, there are some areas where coverage is not complete, but I confess to being confused at your seeming bias.
>

>>you, as in vodafone, got ahead not because you offered a better service,
>>or that you are now emulating the "3" network model of dropping prices
>>to attract customers.

here i am highlighting the devaluation of your brand by dropping your
prices as a means of attracting business - a la Hutchinson 3.

>>>Who was first with e-mail connectivity? Who rolled out the
>>>first mobile content service in Japan?
>>>
>>>Which company came up with Sha mail? Which is the only company to
>>>build a successful pre-paid business in Japan? You guessed it:
>>>J-Phone/Vodafone.
>>>

>>are you so sure about your lists of first there? even so its not that
>>impressive really! who is the company that copies docomo? you guessed it
>>- vodafone. there are too many examples to justify my argument.vfl, your
>>sales brochures, vgs j2me.
>>

>Yep, Darren, I am sure of my list, though I have to admit that 'successful' in terms of pre-paid means that the company derives substantial profits from it.  DoCoMo is a very innovative company, which I think I clearly stated.  I would be interested in any of your examples of where we copied DoCoMo, but know that internally we try to avoid anything like that, and I think that the user experience of Vodafone Live! is uniqe to Vodafone.

unique to vodafone live. god almighty, if i cut you open do you bleed
vodafone blood. VFL is a copy because i copied docomo.

> This line of argument, with little except impressions, feelings, etc., is not really productive, so I will end it here.

oh. sorry to upset you. i make note your selective response and the
omission of facts impossible to disprove.

>>that's the problem though, it isn't really new(s) anymore. Its been
>>floating around for at least a year.
>>vodafone is great, im British, an ex-employee of their head office, i
>>want them to succeed, i really do. but i would be so overly confident
>>that voda wont pull out of Japan. they have done it before in other
>>countries where they flopped. when i company is based so heavily on debt
>>as vodafone, the future can never be certain.
>>

>So, you want them (us) to succeed...I guess I could ask how anything you have ever said on this list about Vodafone reflects that desire, but...

no, iam saying "

that's the problem though, it isn't really new(s) anymore. Its been
floating around for at least a year."

you could ask that. I them (of which you are a small part) to show a
little spark of originality - just a 10th  of docomos. just because i
dis them, doesn't mean i don't want them to succeed. Many a time i have
a saluted i to myself on seeing vodafone shops throughout the world. yet
somehow, it doesn't feel the same in Japan. somehow, voda feels cheap,
second rate. I even considered having a voda quote tattoo in the centre
of my forehead, like yours - no iam joking.

>You are right: Sir Gent was a genius, and his genius mostly lay in financing the acquisitions using Vodafone's own stock.

oh yes. nice chap as well. fond of cricket. i wonder if historians will
look back and say he departure was the first step of decline?

you seem to have trouble excepting that you are owned by vodafone and
they make the decisions. this problem, on a wider scale, seems to be the
root of the often taken about problems the voda jp has. often talked
about... often.

it may be difficult to accept and this may be why Japanese people are
not happy with vodafone, but voda jp is a satelitte company of voda uk.
policy is decided through Newbury and dusselldorf. its standard voda
practice. same roll-out no matter what the country - same for Italy,
same for uk, same for Germany, SAME FOR JAPAN

and therein lies the problem. Japan isn't the same as staly or the uk.
its much more advanced market. i want voda to succeed, but that does
mean i have to kiss their a** and agree the launching the 802se (aka
v800 in Europe) makes sense in Japan.

darren