(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Colin Belton <newsgp_at_zag.att.ne.jp>
Date: 02/14/05
Frengle, Nik, VF-JP wrote:

>A year ago I was at Shiobara (Hunter Mountain, if you are interested) with my Sanyo 801SA, and had a video conversation with a colleague in Tokyo. Have you actually used our handsets? Certainly, there are some areas where coverage is not complete, but I confess to being confused at your seeming bias.

There is a reason that Vodafone K.K. gets customers to sign a piece of
paper stating that they will not ask for a refund if they find that the
3G network coverage is not quite up to it. I think even Astel didn't do
that (should of done, though :-) ).
As a consumer with a 902SH handset, I am pretty disappointed with the
coverage. I am already thinking of switching back to a non-3G handset
until the network is sorted out. I have to travel out of Tokyo quite a
bit, and I often can't get a signal while people around me are merrily
chatting away on their Fomas. And I am not talking about mountains.

I think Nick May has it right when he says the following, except for the
"perhaps this just a matter of perception."

As a potential buyer, by far the more pressing problem is the poor
coverage that some claim for the Voda 3G network. Perhaps this is "just
a matter of perception" - whatever - buyers are put off. Voda are not
doing the BASICS right - voice is the killer app, not perhaps in total
packets, but in the sense that if a phone does not have guaranteed
voice it is just a pda/games machine.

Colin