(keitai-l) Re: Extra antenna for higher data rates on 3G

From: Ian Mansfield <ian.mansfield_at_amplefuture.com>
Date: 02/15/05
I doubt that an antenna alone would make a difference, as you would still connect to the nearest base station, and the data rates will depend more on the number of data users on that particular cell than the signal strength you employ.

It could potentially make a difference due to "cell breathing" where a cell coverage can shrink when lots of users are connected at the same time, and if you end up outside its "coverage" - then a stronger antenna could potentially solve that issue - but frankly, I doubt there are sufficient heavy data users on the networks yet to worry about that problem.

The best solution may be to run two (or more) 3G modems/handsets on two different networks and split the data stream between them.

No point using two handsets on the same network, as both would connect to the same base station and frequencies and hence lower the overall average data thruput. You need to reach two different networks, and hence two different sets of frequencies (may share antennas, but use different parts of the radio spectrum).