(keitai-l) Re: SIM unlocking VF Nokia phones

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.ne.jp>
Date: 03/03/05
As far as I know there is no 6630 available from Vodafone Japan for any
price. VF Japan only offers 702NK, and you are right that it is crippled
so it's not really 6630. Nokia says it was going to release 6630
(unlocked, but expensive, and cannot access VF Live), but it is still
not released yet (being held back by VF Japan??).

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:59:18 +0900
"Brock, Gavin \[IT\]" <gavin.brock@nikkocitigroup.com> wrote:

> I gather that Vodafone UK has been selling official unlock codes relatively cheaply (but delivering them very slowly). Has anyone ever asked Vodafone Japan?
>
> I also believe that the locked Vodafone Japan model of the 6630 has significantly different firmware from the other global models. For example MP3 ringtones are crippled, and installing unsigned software is blocked. There are well publicised work-around though. If would be interesting to know if the unlocked 6630 available from Vodafone Japan (for about 60,000yen) is crippled too.
>
> Gavin

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.ne.jp)

"There are lots of examples where not the best product wins,
Windows would be one of those, but there are examples where
the best product wins. And the iPod is a great example of that."
                              -- Steve Jobs