(keitai-l) traffic management

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/22/05
Does anyone know what traffic management is available on Japanese
carrier networks in emergencies? Is it done just by "number called" or
are some handsets more equal than others?

It was quite noticeable in the immediate aftermath of the main (6.6)
tremor Sunday's earthquake down here in sunny F. (which isn't actually
finished yet - we had a 4.8 aftershock a few minutes ago...) that one
could connect to send email, but not to make a call - which suggests
that it wasn't cell capacity that was the issue.

I have a suspicion that in-network calls were easier than cross network
calls - but can't confirm. Is that likely?

Nick

(For those looking for something new to have an office sweepstake on,
we are having much fun locally with the following page -
http://www.hinet.bosai.go.jp/ (Japanese - but with big map). It records
tremor data within about 45 seconds of the tremor ending - impressive,
even by Japanese standards. We wait for the walls to stop shaking, bet
on the magnitude, then hit the net to check. Astonishing how many
tremors Japan has each day. Of course, you could just bet on location
and magnitude, no need to be in-situ...)