(keitai-l) Re: link:nokia/apple/linux

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/26/05
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Nick May wrote:

> That said, I doubt any smart-phone has the brass-monkey-deficient's
> to run linux at a reasonable pace just yet. I guess it is heavier
> that Symbian OS - and on a 200mhz ARM 9 (the 6630) Symbian/System 60
> is a dog with a headache.

It really depends on what "Linux," and which bits of it, you're running.
When you get down to embedded-type stuff, there are some rather
different Linux kernels available. But the CPU is usually eaten more by
the application than the OS, anyway.

NetBSD has been running on ARM processors for a long time, and I've done
development on a 200 MHz system. It wasn't the quickest thing in the
world, but six or seven years ago it wasn't completely horrible, either.
And heck, I've worked on much slower systems than that, too. (Any ARM
system is far faster than the VAX 11/780 I started on.) I think that
today's phones have plenty of horsepower, if used wisely.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***