(keitai-l) Re: link:nokia/apple/linux

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 06/27/05
"sufficient" is hardly a ringing endorsement.  I can't comment
directly as I have not played with them - but I have been told
something similar about the 702NK - and is ain't true - at least not
when compared with most TRON based (I assume) phones I have played
with. Try alternating a 702NK with a 504P and see hoe long you can
tolerate the 702's speed...
Even small delays in a phone's interface are perceived with
heightened sensitivity due to the way they are used. Thus if one is
walking and checking one's calendar, the 3 seconds it takes to throw
up a screen is "felt" as far longer simply because one has had to
attend for all that time to the phone while negotiating an
environment in which a lot of other things are happening. That 3
seconds is "quality time" with full user attention.

"sufficient" sounds like marketing speak. I would caution anyone
going from a 2G  X04 generation to a smartphone that the difference
in speed is noticable, sometimes painfully so.

Whether this is due to lazy coding, the failure to optimize
particularly time sensitive/ components of the interface or just a
problem with secondary storage speeds, I don't know.

I happily ran openbsd on a 16mhz 386 until last year, so one would
think a 200mhz ARM9 would be enough.

Nick