(keitai-l) Re: vodafone cuts throat for 315yen?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/17/05
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Arnold P. Siboro wrote:

> I wonder how you can use this Vodafone's flat-rate for browsing the
> internet? I can only think of using a PC and acoustic coupler, that
> perhaps won't work with cellulars anyway.

If you use a slow enough modulation, it will work, but how slow it will
be depends on the technology in use. The worse the voice quality, the
more difficult a time the modem will have. I wouldn't be surprised if
you couldn't do more than 300 baud on a docomo PDC phone.

If you want to try it, your best bet is to find a couple of Telebit
Trailblazer high-speed modems; they are reknowned for doing well on very
poor connections.

Many phones will, however, let you do some sort of data connection.
Whether this will come under the "unlimited use" plan is an open
question, of course.

Another possibility would be to tunnel IP packets via the web browser
(very slow) or the phone's e-mail system (unimaginably slow), if you can
find some way to get output from that.

Still, the unlimited voice thing sounds pretty practical to me, if you
have the wherewithal to essentially set up your own PBX or gateway at
home. I really don't think that a lot of consumers will be doing that,
though.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***