(keitai-l) Global roaming, JPN - UK

From: Paul Hardy <pjh_at_bushcat.com>
Date: 11/29/05
I changed to 3G to get global roaming from Japan to the UK & China. In my
particular case, it wasn't a seamless experience:

1416 didn't work to pick up voice mail. Vodafone UK didn't know the answer,
which turns out to be:

1)	Dial +81-90-665-14170
2)	Enter your mobile phone number followed by #.
3)	Enter your network PIN followed by #.

In other words, picking up voice mail is an international call to a number I
wouldn't be expected to know. Also, throughout London, the phone would
automagically roam across to Orange. Finally, my data service didn't seem to
want to do its thing. So in my context, roaming was not as useful an
experience as simply call forwarding to one of my other phones. In China, I
could receive calls just fine but couldn't make them.

I note incoming visitors tend to roam onto Foma, and everything works as
advertised.

So is Foma any better in terms of worldwide usability? I'm desperately
hanging on for number portability to arrive, but the fingers are getting
numb.