(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs mobile email

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/02/05
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, William Volk wrote:

> My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the revenue for
> services in Japan (mobile browser based) is derived from data charges?  Is
> this correct???

The carrier's revenue is derived from data charges. The
content-provider's revenue is derived from charging the user; when the
user agrees to a charge, the carrier puts it on this telephone bill and
pays the content provider 90% of that.

> Is there a billing mechanism for mobile email (similar to P-SMS) as well?  I
> wasn't aware of one.

Not for e-mail, no. There really seems no need, since it's easier to
do the "start monthly subscription" or "buy this" process via the web,
anyway.

There's very little here that you would do via e-mail rather than web,
because web-based stuff is almost invariably easier to use. The only
thing I can think of is alerts of various sorts and newsletters, which
of course we do.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***