(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/08/05
On 8 Dec 2005, at 23:08, Nick May wrote:

> Any fool can make a site that delivers content wrapped for
> different handsets, or a desktop, from the same URI. I am sure that
> many sites that are /i or /j or /e all pull in the same engine and
> just pump it out of a different URI because users expect it.

In fact I remember - 3 or 4 years ago when some of us WERE largely
syncing URI between keitai and desktop - and someone from google who
was on the list posted that it was a really, really bad idea as far
as they were concerned.

Not a definitive reason for not doing it, admittedly - but a
"pragmatic pressure"...

I stopped because I thought one should map content to URI - and the
capabilities of mobile browsers and screens meant that one could not
serve identical content without - to extend the motorway metaphor -
"slowing all the traffic in the fast lane so that the bicycle was not
in danger" - i.e - not serving the desktop browser all it was capable
of accepting.

Nick