(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/10/06
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net wrote:

> We're building an i-mode site for a client and would prefer to use UTF-8 for
> encoding the Japanese content. My new 901i seems to have no problem
> displaying the content but I wonder about other/older models.

Much to my dismay, many older models, both J-Phone and Docomo, do not
support UTF-8 for web pages. (Docomo, at least, does support UTF-8
e-mail.) You'll have to send Shift-JIS.

AU seems to be fine, from my limited experiements; I presume that
they're converting at the gateway. I've hopes that one day Docomo and
Vodaphone might start doing this, too.

> Can someone on the list provide some simple guidelines for how best to
> handle character encoding for an i-mode site?

If the site does only Japanese and English, the easiest thing is to
deliver all web pages in Shift-JIS, because some of them you will have
to deliver in Shift-JIS no matter what else you do.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***