(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/11/06
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Nick May wrote:

> Well - to be fair to it, the article isn't addressing the question of
> whether unicode is better than sjis or eucjp (which are encodings
> that fit the criteria you specify), but rather in what ways it falls
> short of ideal.

The problem I have with that is, I don't think it does fall short of the
ideal. For a general-purpose multi-lingual character set, I can't think
of anything better than Unicode. I know of 's nothing else anywhere
near as capable that offers such a good compromise of clear standards,
ease of use, intertranslation with other character sets and reasonably
compact character encodings.

Unicode is one of the best technical successes I've ever seen in the
computer industry. It does 99% of what people need 99% of the time. This
is why I find the Japanese criticism of it so annoying.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***