(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: <rumrails_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 01/16/06
> So how are these benefits rubbish? Are you going to
> explain to the
> guy with the modem why his phonebill is 8% higher
> when he accesses a
> UTF-8 site?

I would happily explain this to a guy with a modem. I
would start by explaining that an ADSL upgrade is in order
and that a flatrate connection is much more economical
than a pay as you go modem connection. I believe there are
flatrate modem services available as well but its been so
long since I have heard anyone discuss analog that I am
not sure what they are even called. I would go on to say
that modems are not manufactured for end users these days
and that they are probably not supported either.

At this point, I think anyone using a modem is fully aware
of the limitations of that technology and UTF-8 is just
another example of how there is a cost to using outdated
hardware/software. I am sure that if they are not aware of
this, trying to explain what UTF-8 is to them would be a
waste of time.

I do not agree that there is a UTF-8 tax. I think that
there there is a higher cost for users that do not upgrade
to newer technology. Someone driving a 25 year old pick up
truck pays more for fuel than someone driving a new one.
That is not a tax, it is a higher cost that the drive
chooses to pay rather than upgrade.

Yahoo! Mail - supported by 10million people
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/mail_pr/