(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone KK

From: Philip Sugai <philip_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 03/13/06
Hi Nik,

Thanks for the feedback.  Actually, this is very interesting.  My source
was the Vodafone K.K. printed Annual report (page 13).  Although I can't
find the full version online (does anyone have the link for this?), I do
have the following link (see page 6) which confirms my numbers (at least
for the past two years):

http://www.vodafone.jp/english/company/ir/pdf/050524_1e.pdf

Gerhard's post late last week also provided a link to his site
(http://eurotechnology.com/blog/2006/01/japans-mobile-operators-profits.html)
with the exact same figures that I quoted, so I feel confident in what I
posted. But the question is why the numbers between these two reports
differ so much for FY2004.  From the link I provided above, Vodafone
K.K. here in Japan reported a 100 billion net loss in FY2004.  But the
Vodafone Group numbers you provided show a GBP 1 billion operating
profit.  Why this inconsistency?

I can see why you thought that my post was quoting "phantom figures"!

Regarding the brand information I quoted, the only publicly available
information I can find about this survey is from May 2004.  You can find
it on the Nikkei Interactive site here:
http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/AC/TNW/Search/Nni20040510IS1BRND1.htm.
Nikkei BP Consulting conducts an annual "Brand Japan" survey, and in
this article, Yahoo was the number 4 consumer brand in 2004 (up from #40
in 2003), whereas no mobile operator is on the list (Sony, Panasonic,
Windows (Microsoft), Fuji TV, Sharm, Canon and Vaio all make the top 20).

Best,
  Philip

--
Philip Sugai