(keitai-l) Re: QR Code Reader Download: US Availability?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/18/06
The QR-code has been developed and is owned and patented by
a TOYOTA subsidiary called Denso-Wave.

They make much of their living selling products related to QR-code -
and the QR-code spex itself are open. Therefore you should be able
to do one of the following
- obtain the software you need from Denso-Wave
- ask Denso Wave were to get the software
- make the software from the published spex

By the way the QR-code does not work the way you indicate below:

1. on most phones you don't need to "take a picture of the QR-code",
but the software recognizes the QR-code direct while the camera
is running and focusing

2. reading the QR-code needs high-quality camera with autofocus and
macro-mode, most European and US phones don't have sufficient
camera quality to read QR-codes. I don't know if the Samsung you
mention has a camera good enough to read QR-codes

3. the QR-codes in general don't "direct you to a site on your phone's
browser". They can do that, but they can do much much more - and
in many cases one or more of these several functions is used.

You can see an actual decoding of a QR-code by a mobile phone
demo'd here in our blog:
http://fasol.com/blog/2005/01/qr-codes-everywhere.html

Hope this helps

Gerhard