(keitai-l) Re: Off-portal solutions

From: Andreas Constantinou <andreas_at_visionmobile.com>
Date: 03/21/06
Dmitry,

I have researched this subject extensively - I call this the On-Device
Portal sector. There are over 20 vendors similar to SurfKitchen including
Abaxia, Action Engine, Celltick, Cibenix, Communology, Crisp Wireless,
Handmark (Pocket Express), Geniem, Macromedia (FlashCast), MSX, Nellymoser,
Onskreen, Openwave, Opera Platform, Qualcomm (uiOne), RefreshMobile, Silk,
Streamezzo, U-Turn and Volantis.

SurfKitchen offers an extensive product mix which addresses varying operator
requirements :
- SurfKit Download Manager: a device application that acts as a store-front
for previewing and purchasing of ringtones, wallpapers, images and video.
- SurfKit Offline Portal: a device application, which extends the operator
portal to the device, while pro-actively caching content for zero-latency
access.
- SurfKit Lite: a device application for use as a content browsing, preview
and purchasing for promoting one-off events. It includes a voting feature,
and can be auto-installed OTA and auto-uninstalled at the close of the
event.
- SurfKit Media manager: an extension of the download manager which
virtualises the local storage to the network, to overcome device storage
limitations.
- SurfKit Multimedia Desktop: a home-screen replacement application that
combines channel subscriptions of text, images and video and proactive
caching.

It is particularly worth looking at Comverse's recent PR on a partnership
with SurfKitchen.

You can find a summary of the On-Device Portal sector here:
http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/  (article titled: On-Device Portals: A
Space to Watch)

ARCchart has also recently published a 140-page report on the subject titled
On-Device Portals: Beyond WAP (where I was the lead author).
http://www.arcchart.com/reports/odp.asp

Let me know if you need specific info that I can help with.

Regards,

Andreas
VisionMobile