(keitai-l) Re: MP3 phone from Docomo?

From: Hugh Ashton <hughashton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 04/01/06
On 31/03/2006 22:11, "Stuart Woodward" <stuartcw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone confirm that this new Docomo phone will play MP3s?
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/29/docomo_music_porter_x/

Looking at the Reg article, it looks as though it will only play ATRAC
(Sony's proprietary psychoacoustic masking audio compression technology).
IMHO, this sounds terrible (and yes, it may sound a little better than AAC
or MP3 at lower bit rates, but only a fool would want to listen to music at
those bit rates, anyway). Interesting that AAC is specifically mentioned - I
wonder who the target competition might be...

> ans if so will it be the first phone in Japan to support MP3??

No - I can put MP3s into my Nokia 6630 and play them with the Ogg player (or
probably with the supplied Real Player, but I don't like using Real products
:-) ).

Hugh

--
"If the man was any dumber, you'd have to water him twice a week"
(Elmore Leonard, 'Freaky Deaky')