(keitai-l) Re: Help with Vodafone MMS/Web settings

From: <martyn_williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 05/25/06
Kyle,

Thanks. I actually took a step forward. I set the authentication setting to
PAP and now the phone attempts to access the Internet (the little globe
icon comes up) but I get an error message in Japanese (which I can't read
because the phone has no Japanese fonts.) I've tried non-VLive sites like
Google and no access either. I'm guess Vodafone's proxy looks at the
make/model of the phone and turns away non Vodafone Japan handsets.

I can live without Web but no email is a real pain. Certainly having just
voice and SMS is not really good enough so I'm stuck with the aging 6630.

It's a shame but I suppose shows that in some ways VFJP remained very
Japanese -- "It's our network and we don't want you to play with it. We
want to control everything. We'll offer you wonderful applications and
innovations and you'll pay for them, but only on our terms and our
handsets."

If anyone has anything to add I'd welcome more input.

Martyn