(keitai-l) AU 3g2 copyright issues? can play, but cannot register ringtone

From: jsalinas <virtualjosh_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 05/29/06
Hello.

First, a little about my phone: I have an AU A5516T phone.
Why? Because when/where I bought it, it was the only phone in the student discount
plan that came with english menus.

My question is about the 3g2 video format...

I have managed to succesfully upload .3g2 audio content to my AU phone.
How?  well:

1.- First you make the mp3 (I used Sony Sound Forge, but there are many options
here)
2.- To convert mp3 into 3g2 I use WinXMedia AVI/WMV 3GP Converter version 2.0
    which I downloaded as shareware from www.download.com (I understand
    Quicktime Pro can also convert to this format, but didnt try it)
3.- To upload from computer to cellphone I use AU's MySyncSuite, which cost me
arount
    5,000 yen at the AU shop. (You can probablly get this cheaper at a bookstore
and
   actually, if you somehow get the software, the USB cable I've seen at the 100yen
   shop).

I have found out that .3g2 and .3gp audio play on my cellphone. They sound great!
However, I can not register them as ringtones. I suppose this is due to copyright
headers that are, of course, missing in my files...

If I analyze the "Detail info" (form the phone) for chaku-uta files that I have
downloaded from EZ-Web, the "Source/Agency" and "Source/License Holder" properties
seem like the only differences - hence my conclusion...

Does anybody know how can I solve this problem? How can I add this info so that the
file can be registered and used as ringtones? I repeat, the phone CAN reproduce the
file, but cannot register it as a ringtone.

-----------------------------------

One solution I found is a different format. I have succesfully played and
registered  .mmf ringtones in my cellphone. These tests I made using an evaluation
version of "Joy Ringtone Converter" which I downloaded from www.download.com, and
AU's MySyncSuite.

It seems that this format does not need to be signed and therefore it CAN be
registered as a ringtone. Only problem is, it sound crappy when compared to the
audio quality of the .3g2 file... There is really no comparison...

On a side note, through experimentation, Ive noticed that a ringtone cannot be
greater than 200k. Can anybody confirm this? or is this hardware dependant?

If anybody can help, I'd be happy.
Thanks.