(keitai-l) Re: How to demo Symbian and MIDP in Tokyo?

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 06/08/06
Joe,
You should be able to take your N70 to Tokyo, and as long as you are with a
carrier that has data roaming agreements with either Vodafone or DoCoMo,
there shouldn't be any problems using it there. I would discourage trying to
get the VFKK handsets to do something like loading a Symbian app, that a
very smart man named Hitoshi spent months figuring out how to not let you
do. So far I haven't seen a lot of success in this area. Also, the Nokia 3G
phones are not, from everything that I have heard, able to be unlocked, and
so getting a Japanese phone and unlocking it wouldn't work with the Nokia
phones. If you want to try a Japanese phone for the MIDP application, I
would suggest, if you can find one, a Vodafone Sony Ericcson 802SE. You can
just put the apps directly on it's memory stick duo, and away you go. No
signing is required. It is also fully MIDP compatible. I am not sure whether
DoCoMo have finally gotten full MIDP compatibility, but think not. Vodafone,
from what I know of the procilities of Mr. Ohta, head of content, will
probably not be MIDP compatible for much longer, though you never know:
Maybe the lower cost of standard-based phones will outweigh the joys of
developing everything yourself (not f*cking likely!).
If you want to take a phone to Tokyo, and then put in a Japanese SIM card
and connect to the network, good luck. The access point settings are
something that nobody seems to know how to set. I think there is something
else going on, too: My V802SE doesn't work right in the UK, even though I
have (gasp!) unlocked it, and the very nice lady in the shop at Vodafone
headquarters in Newbury set the access points for me. It is a bit
disappointing: It is the only handset I have that supports Japanese, and I
would like to be able to use it.
Good luck.
Nik